Sunday, November 02, 2008

Anil Kumble (Right arm leg spin)

Even as the shadows started to lengthen at the Kotla today evening, Anil Kumble - for the 10th time in his career - opened the bowling for India, and in his second over, sent down a leg break that pitched outside Hayden's off stump and TURNED so much that Dhoni had to jump to his right to collect it behind the stumps! That, i guess, was the most poetic way for the world's second most successful leggie ever to hang his boots and bid adieu to his game... he had actually learnt the art of turning the ball!!
Turn or no turn, what I expected would be one of the most boring post-tea sessions in the history of Ind-Aus cricket turned out to be one of the most emotional, as the flash news suddenly said "Anil Kumble decides to retire from cricket after this match"... Even as Divya had moist eyes and started recollecting stories of how she had loved the bespectacled spinner over the years and his Hero cup heroics of yore, I was just soaking in as much of the man as I could.
The retirement speeches that these guys make - and all the associated festivities - are what take cricket closest to films... the lines that these guys manage to effortlessly belt out seem to easily outdo all those well rehearsed lines with meticulous rerecording to back!
The only common factor is that these things make me cry.
Whether it be the emotional climaxes of recent films where I've started liberally 'dehydrating', or retirement speeches - i remember Gilly's recently - I have somehow lost the art of keeping my emotions in check. And cry, I did, for the most part of the presentation ceremony, where these buggers refuse to understand what I'm going through, and keep going on and on saying things like "modern day greats", "one of the giants of the game" and all that jazz. Aargh!
End of the day, I must be one among millions around the world wishing Kumble well and thanking him for the fantastic entertainment over the years, but I shall still specifically thank him for spurring me on to get off and write a blog entry :)
An alarming afterthought also is that I do remember the time this guy started his career! And watching his farewell only told me that while he went about collecting all those millions in prize money and all those wickets and awards along the way, what the hell have I been doing? Sitting on my ass and growing a paunch?

Someday, at least some 10 people have to watch me on TV say something like "Its been a long journey... I thank my family and my friends...." :-)
LOL, that can wait.

22 Comments:

Blogger PythonNovice said...

never commented on ur blog though i ve read all ur entries... but here i am doing so only because these were the same feelings that went thru me when i read the news early this morning here in NY on cricinfo.. thanks for posting this!!!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Navneeth Sundar said...

So long Jumbo :(.
As a mark of respect for the great man, from now on, I'll be using a different spelling for the word commitment, which is - "Kummitment" - Shure!!!
@putting on a paunch - long way to go da

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I am not sure you might have played for India bowling right arm leg spin :P but I am sure Pampers or any of those brands are not your last claim to fame. My prophecy might come true after all. Lets hope it does.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

if I may add, had you migrated to Australia 5 yrs back, fair chance you might have been playing for them now, bowling your right arm leg spin :P But things dont look that bleak yet. You still can work out a transfer to Aus and do a Bryce McGain. It will make you the first IIMA grad to play international cricket.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Girish said...

ROFL @ J!!
Outstanding :D

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@J - Yet another trivia :P

2:28 AM  
Blogger PythonNovice said...

u cud have stayed on in singapore and made singapore a test team!!! u were after all the strike bowler there :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger PythonNovice said...

here s a question.. can kumble become the highest wicket taker in moosa street. the place where G, SR, RR and myself(occasionally present) rule!!! u are way ahead of him thalaivar!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

which Sriram is this? and why are you in NY?

10:42 PM  
Blogger PythonNovice said...

girish can answer your first part and u ll place me.. i m in nyu doing masters

5:09 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

dei, this is drummer sriram da..
If it comes down to Moosa street, I shall stake a serious claim!
But enga veetu pitch-la Kumble-ya vittu one silly point, one short leg and 2-3 slips vechaa total gone batsman, whoever he is!

5:16 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

but.. is Kumble as good as SR??
I doubt!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Vasanth said...

guys welcome back !!! here is a man looking for pure blogertainment !!! hail all u guys along with Jumbo... may his ball rest in piece

5:36 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

rest in piece apparently! :))
sometimes typos do make for good reading!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Vasanth said...

well imagine if i had made some changes to the word "ball(s)" even more interesting na....

6:20 AM  
Blogger maheshbalaji said...

i was fast asleep during the final session... but my dad was very animated and excited.i did wake up to see the presentation ceremony. yeah... i too had the lump in throat and all... felt like some big part inside was a void now. a metaphorical death, if i may...no wonder he was nicknamed 'Jumbo'!

i guess it the reminiscing of things we went thru during those times in our lives when kumble on tv was doing all those great deeds.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

@ Makki
"metaphorical death" - you are well and truly metaphorically alive.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

@Jay and Makki:

Edhuvum maarala.. vinay, akhil, makkiyoda peter, J-oda prompt nakkal.. edhuvum maarala..

:D

3:10 AM  
Blogger Navneeth Sundar said...

I hope, there is some post in store for my beloved Dada too...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

@Navneet - Makki has a post in his blog on Dada. you might check it out.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sab! jus now noticd u had bloggd da!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sab! jus now noticd u had bloggd da!

-bk

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home