Sunday, March 20, 2005

Life chugs on...

Unless you are an engine driver or a guard waving the flags for a living, it is not often that you would find yourself on a train for 8 consecutive days...

*break for a half an hour chat conversation followed by a 29-minute phone conversation with J*
Having lost that train of thought about the trains completely , let me train my eyes on a fresh start..

I have always maintained that Lady Luck (also known as Luck with the ladies), has failed me time and again, without fail, when i set foot aboard the billowing caravans that run on tracks.. In all of the last month, when train journeys were more the order of the day than any kinda stationary shelter, she has always managed to be conspicuous by her absence, consistently making sure to pied pipe the rest of the female species with her too, leaving me to fume with some dhaadiwallahs and beediwallahs that so often try to chat me up with endearments like 'thambi enna panndraappola', and the like.. Not even guys my age. Not that i am particularly lookin or longing for them either... A guy is certainly not an adequate replacement for a girl on a train journey. period.

When i eventually reached the Delhi rly stn by auto (worth a mention is that the autowallah was an old OLD man, with a osama-like beard), i didnt know wat was coming. Lady luck was practially dead. Picture this.
Of all the days in the english calendar, and of all the trains that Shri Laloo deems fit to criss cross the vast expanse of Mother india, and of all the pitstops that that these trains take time to fart at, the 17th of March, 2005 Tamilnadu Express train was the chosen one. here is how.
As many as 6 second classes coaches were bulk-booked by a home for the old-aged. apparently by some asylum that planned to shift all its inmates from delhi to chennai suddenly, moving my destiny closer to me in effect. And as if that were not enough, 3 of the remaining 5 coaches were snapped up by a school for the blind. This meant only one thing. S4 to S12 was wasteland (unless you are a good samaritan like some of my friends out there..). And being in S11 and the pantry somewhere near S5, i never got farther than that, into greener pastures (the optimist in me..) Worst kannaa Worst..

I have been told that the number 7 is lucky for me ( in hindsight, 7 was my speaker number at FMS), but that simply doesnt justify an atrocious frequency of berth number 70 being allotted to me everytime i ask for an upper berth (for my eunuch-phobia again). being the last berth on the compartment, and closest to the exit means two things. One, i have to sleep like an idiot, using my briefcase as a footrest to make sure someone doesnt whisk it away while i am slumbering away.. and Two, i am CLOSEST to the toilets - western and indian - and thus having to courageously brook the fusion of various foreign fragrances that assault me everytime someone heeds a call of nature.. these indians never bother closing the door behind them.. lil wonder then that the only time i managed some words with females on previous occasions was when some female forgot to close the door, and since the scent from the toilet is crass irrespective of the beauty quotient, i ventured into a polite word askin them to close it. the door, i mean..

On day two, the sun decided he had to do his bit to spoil my party (??) too.. and scorch he did.. I was armed with a copy of Ignited minds by Kalam, but it was my behind that was close to ignition, given the skyrocketing temperatures.. had a real tough time toweling myself with some cold water every second minute.. And as a corollary that i derived from the Alchemist, "When someone up above decides u r gonna have it, all the world conspires to let u face it"..
No lunch on board. Next station in 2 hours. Hungry as hell. meant a long trek to the pantry car, making way for all those oldies, all clad in whites (Life's way of throwing subtle hints?), only to finally find that they had nothing but a loaf of plain bread, with nothing to go with it. a bottle of water might help.
so that was how i finally ended up eating half a loaf of bread all morning and afternoon.. trust me, i made a pathetic picture..
J called in the evening to give me good news - of an FMS admit - that instantly seemed to make life look a lot more considerate... Instantly decided that i deserved better than the remaining half a loaf for dinner, and waited till the next station to get myself some cup noodles, which made for a much better dinner..

Next morning, went back to relive some old memories.. stood at the entrance at 6 Am, and thrusting my face into the biting wind and chilling cold, bravely sang Sonnaalum ketpadhillai and the others... My early morning throat was as coarse as the skin of an old male bufallo sufferin from peptic ulcer, but today, I wouldnt relent. The sun refused to oblige too, and finally i gave up my battle and took my seat, absently singing Yaar yaar sivam.., when suddenly the sun peeked out mischievoulsy from behind the end of the earth... i had goosebumps. 'A thing of natural beauty is a joy forever'. Suddenly, I was in a different league altogether, and read 4 chapters of ignited minds in one go, and alighted a satisfied man in madras central...

The indian railways aint all that bad after all.. We must do something to help the old and the blind.. and on-board railway restrooms are harmless too..

Life chugs along.. lol..

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!

looks like i am the first one to read ur article and send a comment too!!!well,let me tell u the article was very hilarious, it brought out ur feelings with a delicate touch of humour! the funniest part was ur experience with the toilets,,,i can really understand how horrible u must have felt,,as i have come across that situation once as well,,really it requires a lot of guts to stay near the toilets!! I feel sorry for u abt ur lady luck...not in ur favour again!! hoping that ur next journey will be better,,,bye for now,,,

12:08 AM  
Blogger ranga said...

as always mayte.. there are some born with truckloads of macchams..and there are some who are... like u ;)

anyway.. as always... there are some who are born with oodles of talent to write.... and there are somewho have that and a li'l more too..like u :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Ha ha ha. That's what you get for laughing at my sob story :p And welcome back to the blogging world!

Travelling in trains is a huge nightmare for me. I've had a few instances of being stuck next to the toilets too but that was hardly even close to bad. The WORST experience I've ever had, probably in my entire life, (and believe me, this actually happened in the AC compartment) was when travelling from Bombay to Mangalore. There must have been about 2000 cockroaches in that one compartment. And I'm not kidding! I couldn't sleep a wink because I had cockroaches all over me - on my face, on my hands, on my legs - and these are the ones I could actually SEE! And it doesn't help when you're abso-freakin-lutely terrified of them!!!

Not trying to steal your thunder of having terrible train journeys :p But in my opinion, the Indian Railways SUCK! Considering I've hardly ever used them and I've only ended up with the worst of experiences, I can say that Lady Luck has been quite a b***h to me too. And I feel your pain about the lack of interesting co-passengers. Considering the amount of travelling college guys do, I never get cute guys sitting next to me either! Gosh, I'm never travelling by train again.

6:24 PM  
Blogger maheshbalaji said...

one suggestion giri,

guess these journey blogs' alright...but there might-a been so much else that happened but wansn't squeezed here...those which were memorable in u'r MBA-inteview sojourns....so i suggest u take u'r time one's all this is over and come up with the whole of it as an 'experience'

watsay!?

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could blast into "The Hindu" Office and demand them to give u a job straightaway................Awesome man.........

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could blast into "The Hindu" Office and demand a job straightaway................Awesome man.........

9:27 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

not sure i agree venkat.. there are people who actually write for the Hindu who used to visit this page, and am pretty sure they wudnt agree too ;)

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girish: hey with a little tweaking here and there... and little less verbose writing, you can write for the hindu..but am sure we can all set higher standards...

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw forgot to say that this line was my fave.
'the sun peeked out mischievoulsy'
-- S

6:24 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

OK Jawad.. speak up. Who is the girl?

12:35 AM  
Blogger Anshul said...

what wouldn't i do to change places with you ;) aah to be on an indian train again...

5:38 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

Yes all... am now an "avuthu vitta kazhudhai"... all interviews done..waitin for results..might take a cpl of weeks... pappom...fingers crossed..


And yeah anshul... The grass is always greener on the otehr side eh?

:-)

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home